Friday, December 26, 2008

New York, Newwwww York!

Finally, we're here. Two days and counting until I leave for Israel. Our flight was delayed (of course), but we received free TV, so you don't hear me complaining. Much. Definitely would have a lot to say about the despicably run airlines, but it's not exactly an original idea, so I'll let it slide. House marathon tonight! And, perhaps, two days from now? Alas, I leave, and then I will hopefully follow my New Years resolution: After the turn to the next page in that calendar, I will no longer be watching tv shows online, unless it is relevant news sources, until June--at the end of my program.

Ordered Mexican food; my brother had the inclination. I had a sopapiya, but there is nothing like the ones from Casa Bonita. Sopapiya=puffed up dough filled with honey and chunks of butter.

Insert a shout out to one bestfriendjulia here, because I just realized how to check to see when people have commented on my post, and she has been actively keeping up to date with my ramblings, yay....

I missed my guitar.

I really miss Colorado. I miss the mountains. I miss being more mesmerized by my own skyline than a man with a swinging clock. I miss cuddling on my sofa.

I don't miss coming home and knowing that my bedroom is right there, waiting for me; removing myself from my home is my first step to removing myself from that life. Unfortunately, it is the only house I currently live in. Note to self: Must work on buying a cheap apartment in the middle of nowhere.

Last night was amazing. It was hectic and overwhelming at home after months of living on my own with no one but myself to be responsible for, so I went over to Julia's and took the lightrail (yay environment) and she swooped in and saved me from the wind. Watched Sense and Sensibility with her mom (love!), drank rose tea (or was it peach??), and ate pumpkin pie. My knees tend to freak out when I get really into a movie, and Dylan was very patient with me when we watched. You could say the movie pulled me in. I love being at Julia's house when I'm too excitable and overstressed.

I know I reread Orson Scott Card and other sci-fi, non-"classic literary" type novels, but I enjoy them. However, in this reread I have noticed his particular pattern of emphasis on connecting to the human race through marriage, children, and grandchildren, and that everyone feels this need to be one with humanity blah-di-blah. It makes me feel very uncomfortable to recognize this pattern of socialization, partially because I had not noticed in a big way up until this read-through, and these books have been a major socialization of my private education, if that makes any sense. At any rate, I realize it, I acknowledge it, and I move past it.

Hannukah time!!

P.S. Iceland would be really cool
P.P.S. Australia is someplace I'd like to trip
P.P.S. Longer Letter Later (HAHAHAHA)

1 comment:

  1. THEY ARE NOT CALLED SOPAPIYAS, SAM. HOW MANY YEARS OF SPANISH CLASSES DID YOU TAKE? Sopapillas. S O P A P I L L A S. Double L. Learn it, @#$%^.

    Colorado is definitely the best place in the world. Maybe in my travels I will discover other places that are also the best, but they will only tie and not surpass it. Go check out my photos, they will make you miss home but you will like them.

    You had rose tea. And you did freak out about the movie. And you realized that Jane Austen rocks.

    So are we going to Iceland? Can you fly there from Israel?

    ReplyDelete