Thursday, January 8, 2009

Aah! It worked! (day 1 of cast iron/travel)

We have arrived in Zurich! Once we get off the plane, my mind immediately goes to food. More specifically, what is there at Zurich? What can be found at the Zurich airport? The one time I am here, I had best take care to notice my surroundings! I stuck my arm out to my friend Ryan, and we walked over to the café together. He was looking for something to jumpstart his Vitamin C, and I was looking forward to a reenactment of my constant cappuccinos in Italy.

For sake of decoration and fitting finger, I was wearing a METALLIC ring on my left hand—specifically, the ring finger. I stuck my arm out for Ryan and he slung it on like a good sport. We meandered to the café and he left me there to get my cappuccino while he searched for airborne. 

There was this lovely man in front of me who I chatted with in a muted sort of way; my ears were still being deprived by the flight—not yet adjusted. We were discussing the currency at Zurich airport; what does CHF mean? CHF stands for the Swiss Frank. My cappuccino was 25 CHF, and I have no idea how that translates to euros or dollars or anything.

He told me afterwards that he was on his way to Saudi Arabia to go to Afghanistan (there MAY have been another transition in-between) for the military. Insensitive as I am, I asked which military; this guy is speaking in a completely American manner, no accent whatsoever; it was horrible, but I realized as soon as I asked it how horribly ignorant I sounded. Mr. ZurichCoffeeMilitaryMan, wherever you are, if you read this please forgive me.

So, I was talking with this guy, right? And he says he needs to get rid of his euros anyways, so he pays 5.5 euros (I guess you can figure out the conversation price from that?) for my coffee, which is so sweet. Here’s the kicker: He asked me, “Would your husband like anything as well?”

Dude. I’m 20. Besides which, I don’t believe marriage is possible for myself with the lifestyle I have chosen to receive. (Didn’t say that last part out loud. Any of that, actually). What I did was murmur something under my breathe similar to “wha??? Husband???? Who????”

Apparently Ryan and I got hitched, yo. Mazel tov.

There was this little kid  on the flight from Zurich to Tel Aviv who was too incredibly adorable. His father raised him up on his shoulders constantly and the little boy would pop open the baggage storage and the expression on his face was “wow!” “I’m superman!”, and basically the cutest guy on the flight. I made funny faces at him for about five minutes before his dad noticed. When he did, he asked if I baby-sat! I said, I’m going to be in Israel for the next six months….

Too bad they live in Canada.


2 comments:

  1. What is meant by METALLIC ring (as opposed to metal, or metallic non-caps)? And what is "the lifestyle you have chosen to receive"? And have you just chosen it or chosen to receive it? This isn't philosophical, it's more like "what the hell are you trying to say, Sam."

    Most importantly, why did you post like FIVE ENTRIES AT THE SAME TIME?!!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, it was metallic with caps to stress the fact that it could have possibly looked like silver if you have vision as bad as my mother.

    lifestyle i've chosen to receive: NOT GETTING MARRIED WHEN I'M TWENTY AND LOOK LIKE I'M FIFTEEN.

    and i posted 5 entries at the same time because they're separate thoughts on the same day and i thought you'd prefer one entry with 5 sections than 5 separate entries......

    ReplyDelete