Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today (ARARA)

Today was great. In the morning we had Minority Discussion with David, the director. He is not only a wonderful, rambling person, but he always has an interesting story that can touch a point home for everyone, or some ridiculous joke to catch us off guard. Plus, he has one of the largest stores of randomcrap information on any subject than anyone I know, and a completely unique way of looking at the everyday occurrences neither I, nor anyone else caught in the discussions we have every day, would see. 

I haven't said too much about my program, have I? I really like the way I phrased it to a friend, so I am going to copy it here:
"I'm basically in israel for 5 months to talk about uncomfortable subjects and learn the languages of two people who can't stand and love each other and have much more in common than either one is aware."

Of course that is neither the basis nor the extent of the program, but that gives a vague idea about it, perhaps. I am learning Hebrew for half the semester every other day, and Arabic the entire semester every other day... But I believe when the Hebrew is over, the Arabic will be taking that time slot. Additionally, I have Jewish Identity, Jewish History (linked with MASA, must have pro-Zionist qualities thrust down the throat), Minority Studies, and Middle East History--kind of a catch-all for whatever is not taught in the other class. Additionally, once a week we volunteer in towns like we did today in Arara, and on the weekends I can travel around Israel exploring on my own terms. 

On to Arara... it was a beautiful, beautiful town, where basically every single building is illegally built, but the Israeli government doesn't want to create a huge issue out of this small problem, so any new building is basically ignored.. They apply for building permits of course, but are rejected as frequent as Israelis. Ironically enough, Israelis are commonly forced about, and if it wasn't for not wanting to squabble over seemingly insignificant issues, the Arab population would have a much more difficult time of it.

So anyway back to the day... 
We went to a small turn-off, bought some plants like nana (mint) and other scented stuff to add the teas, and went to eat lunch at this amaaaazing place in Arara. Well, actually, we decided that the hummus was better the day before, but the pita was light, fluffy and absolutely delicious. And they had turkey shwarma, so I mixed the shwarma with the pita and ate grease for lunch =P. 

Afterwards, we went to David's friends house, were served Arabic tea by this man who is the most atypical Arab man you'll ever met, if you like to stereotype. He hates the customs, he hates doing things by the book, and he keeps a bottle of whiskey around not because he likes to drink, but to make a point. He's quite out there as far as irregular goes, but I hope to get to know him better and prove this nay or yay in the coming months. 

Walked to the school, sat in a circle with a bunch of boys 15-17 years of age, and blushed BRIGHT red when asked if I had a boyfriend. Of course they ask me, I'm the only one who hates to answer that question. It's like having a Jewish mother, jeez....

Made a wonderful new friend back on the Kibbutz, Judith; she introduced me to a girl who rides horses and is pretty sick in the awesome sense, and we talked boys and life and it was great to finally make a friend I can relax around. Relief!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing.

    Whiskey is sooooooooooooooo disgusting....

    Of course you have a significant other. It's me, you idiot.

    ReplyDelete