Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday of nada but okay

What I would like to replace this text with is:

1. A response from Avril once I get an e-mail reply back from the question I asked.

2. A brief description of mepeace.org, and what are (are not) the benefits of such a site.

3. Our housekeepers (yes, we're spoiled once a week) asked if I'm from Russia. It was a treat! Nobody ever asks about my heritage; but this is mainly because I don't know farther than my great-grandparents, and even for those 8 people, I haven't a great deal of information. Although I am Ukranian by blood, I guess. Apparently my great-uncle ran a speakeasy? [This is it. No replacements on this section.]

4. Royal Assassin, by Robin Hobb; great book. I enjoyed the way this series takes on the fantasy/sci-fi genre through the inclusion of magic by way of psychic powers, telepathy, and doesn't stick with the norm of wizards and wand-waving. Not that I don't love Harry Potter... but it's refreshing, and Hobb manages to create a genuine tragic character. You will fall in love with him by the end of the book, but he is continuously forced into these horrible situations again and again. You think he is finally going to get a break, but no; the world falls around him, the rug is pulled out from underneath him, and yet he still manages to forge this character of self filled with goodness and righteousness and an unparallelable (I know it's not a word--thanks google) sense of duty and loyalty. He grows into a young man that a mother can be proud of, despite his lack of either parents. 

As an assassin and a bastard child of the dead son of the king, here is an example of why I loved this book: "You should avoid physical struggles, FitzChivalry. You always seem to get hurt in them." --The King-in-waiting (king to be) to the main character. 

I haven't read the third book in the series yet, but if its anything like other fantasy/sci-fi books of the same quality, it'll be great until the very end when it must be tied together and I will be left wanting more. So sad. 

5. I've also just bought Dexter in the Dark, which I mistook for Darkly Dreaming Dexter. It's okay, I don't mind, but I would have preferred to read the first book.... first. 

6. I like ducks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment