Thursday, January 22, 2009

סְבִיב חָמֵשׁ שֶׁקֶל

Tomorrow I head to Hod Hasharon in the afternoon; Hebrew until 12:30, and then boom to Hadera and to the bus to go to Nitsanipoo! I have had extremely vague, general discussions with Alon, Sagi and Gal about perhaps seeing them when I'm there... but we'll see. Back Saturday night. Lame.

Pictures to come this weekend; we went on a nice jaunt near the kibbutz for the morning, as our Arabic teacher was sick, and brought along the donkey. Yes, the donkey. I said it. I was a Muhlenberg Mule leading a donkey. Laugh all you want. Mwa-ha-ha.

I saw a top ten list recently and remembered I love writing lists. So, top ten reasons I wanted to come to Israel this semester on this program:

1. I like to travel. Israel is a foreign country, a kibbutz is a foreign country--simple as that.

2. I feel more at home in Israel, even when I am constantly uprooted and moved around and caught in the middle of conflict, than I do any other place in the world.

3. Being off-balance is an incredible feeling, especially when you are constantly being questioned about everything you believe by every person you meet. That is a bit of an exaggeration, but only slightly.. Israelis, I love you all, but there are very few limitations on what an Israeli will say, very little formality. It is a welcoming, open place.

4. Over the summer I was living in Jerusalem working at the UJC for the GA and I met a girl who was working there and also was in tour guide school. I thought it was the coolest thing--and I still think it is pretty neat to be a tour guide. She suggested I look into other programs, especially with MASA, because they give you funding and other fun goodies. So I did, and this program really appealed to me because it would give me Hebrew AND Arabic, as well as a chance to do some sniffing around. Educationally sound, a famous institute, and unique. That was important for me.

5. When I first came to Israel, I saw the Arabic writing on the street signs in addition to the English and the Hebrew. Everyone thought I was crazy, but I thought it was an extremely beautiful written language. Actually, I thought for a while that it was like super-spy language, and it was the super-spy organization's secret code. But, I started learning it at first opportunity freshmen year, and my interest in it rose and sank intermittedly. I took it again when it was offered last semester, and I was very disappointed that I didn't get much more than I had already achieved... boring. Although I did get some good tasty yummies. But anyway, now I'm here, and already I know more in one class of spoken Arabic than I took in two semesters. Kick ass.

6. I know I have been to Israel an excessive amount of times, but I think it would be fun to spend six months and a country studying what it is best known for-- six months in France learning about wines and working at a vineyard, six months in Australia learning how to surf-- etc, etc, you get the point. So here I am in Israel, learning Arabic, Hebrew, middle eastern history, jewish studies, minority studies, and volunteering in Arabic neighborhoods. In my opinion only, the Israelis do education the best, especially if I want to learn Hebrew ;p sorry Muhlenberg. And living on a Kibbutz, I get to have the experience of living on a farm (even if I'm not working every day, and only really when I feel the mood take me) and gaining a better understanding of communal living.

7. This is the last time my friends are all going to be in the same place. And this doesn't count for you Americans--I grew up with you. Deal. The Israelis I have met and loved and found friendship with are getting out of the army now, and I will stand with my firm belief that they will all travel the world and do great things, so this is my time for them.

8. It is really, really ridiculously gorgeous here. The cat that has adopted us is curled up at the foot of my bed, the door is open and the sun is shining in and I can hear birds chirping from the moment I wake up in the morning. It's beautiful.

9. It is completely unaffiliated with Muhlenberg College. Maybe I will get credit when I get back, maybe I won't. I took a leave of absence for this semester and perhaps when I come back fluent in two more languages than I spoke when I left, they'll accept that I'm amazing. I couldn't wait to leave first semester.. I love my friends, but I was feeling antsy and confined. I'm glad to have left.

10. And on the only unoptomistic note of this list, I have heard whispering in the shadows that Israel won't be around forever. I could NEVER EVER believe this because it is just not in me to contend with the possibility, but I wanted to be here while I still can.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment